Sunday, March 6, 2016

How did I get here?

In life, there are roads that we choose to be on and there are roads we happen to come upon. Cancer is never a road that one chooses. We are told that our lifestyle can cause cancer. We are told that things we eat, drink, or are exposed to can cause cancer. We are told that we can develop because other's in our family have had cancer.  My mom never smoked or drank. She exercised and ate healthy. But , she ended up on a road that she was unable to get off of. At the time I found myself on the same road, I didn't smoke or drink. I also exercised and ate pretty healthy. My mom and I had different cancers.

In January of 1993 I was feeling tired and rundown. Isn't that something that normally happens as you get older? Ok , I was only 35 years old. I had a teenager, pre-teen, and 2 year old. I worked full time and did all the running around, taking kids here and there and being involved with things that I thought were important. I never had pain. I never got sick. I wasn't losing weight. One day at work I went to the bathroom and there was blood. A lot of blood. So much that it scared me. I went home right away and called the doctor.

A few days later, I had a doctor's appointment. After an examination my doctor said that he could not find any cause for the bleeding. He thought that perhaps I had a bleeding ulcer or hemorrhoids. As a precaution he was sending me to a Gastroenterologist.

As a society, we are told that at age 50, we need to begin screening for Colon Cancer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment