Friday, March 4, 2016

Today looks like a good day!

This past January, my 3 year old grandson came to visit for a month. The temperatures were frigid! The snow was crunchy. Most of the time he was here, temperatures were only in the teens or twenties, but that is not something a 3 year old understands. When he woke up, if the sun was brightly shining his first words would be, "Today looks like a good day!"
The sun is shinning and we still have snow. You can see some spots of ground and there is a slight breeze. When I go into town this afternoon, I will probably see a few people out in shorts. After all, it's suppose to be a balmy 36 degrees f. The heatwave is just beginning!

I am so looking forward to Spring. To walk my yard and see the tiny plants pushing their way through the ground. Last year at this time I found myself on a road that on one wants to be on, yet many are there. No one ever makes a decision to travel that road and even though we are told that things we do can lead us to that road, I don't believe it's something that we do or don't do that gets us there. Can you imagine how life would be if we analyzed ever movement we made?  And, there are so many things in the world that we can't control. Are you going to go crazy worrying about those things? 

This was my second journey on that road. It was similar, yet so different. On that road, people are so tired and miss so much, and when they are there, at least after awhile, they don't care. Sleeping days away becomes the norm. I don't remember Spring last year. I don't remember sunshine or rain, birds or flowers. I don't remember watching the grass turn green or watching kids ride their bikes. I remember my daughter calling and saying, "Today is warm and sunny out. You should sit in the yard, read and soak up some sun." But I didn't. I was stuck on that road. Luckily, I have been able to detour off that road. It takes work and help from others. 

Yes, today looks like a good day. Will I sit in the sunshine? No! It's still too cold for me. But I will be watching from my window. I will see the cardinals and the robins. I will see the kids who walk their dogs after school and the guy who runs every day, no matter the weather. I will be watching to see those tiny sprouts emerge from the ground. Because today IS a good day!






3 comments:

  1. So glad you are back on the road of recovery. You have a gift for writing�� I remember your mom and I knew she had died from cancer but I really didn't know much about cancer at that time. I sure have learned a lot. Keep writing and I'll keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are writing again as you are so great at it and I enjoy hearing your point of view. Much love sister!

    ReplyDelete